HISTORY
OF
CENTRAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

Central Presbyterian Church

1867 - 1959

Photograph of Sanctuary in 1951

The official date of the recognition of Central Presbyterian Church as a congregation as set down in the books of the Presbytery of Paris on June the 18th, 1925.

On July 9th, 1925 the Rev. A. T. Barr was inducted as the first minister of Central. In December of 1931 he resigned from Central and Dr. G. Deane Johnston was ordinated and inducted on April 13th, 1932.

On December 6th, 1939 Dr. Johnston left for overseas with the 54th Battery during the second World War, and Rev. John Kelman was appointed as the supply in his absence until he returned in May 1945.

The property soon became too small and after the Second World War, plans were made for extension. The addition containing the vestry, church offices, present nursery, and the boiler room, was added in 1948 and the large Church School hall in 1956.

On November 28th, 1948 the first radio broadcast of a worship service was made on radio station C.K.P.C. here in Brantford.

On May 31st, 1956 the decision was made to build a new Church School and new steps.

On March 15th, 1959 the sanctury of the church was seriously damaged by the fall of its tall spire during the high of a severe wind storm. On June 1959, it was decided to erect a new sanctury. Work commenced in 1960 and the cornerstone was laid on July 17th, 1960.

The new building was dedicated by the Presbytery of Paris on February 24th, 1961.

On August 31st, 1972 Dr Deane Johnston retired as minister of the congregation.

On January 18th, 1973 Rev. J. Douglas Gordon was inducted as Central's fourth Minister and served until 1979.

On February 27th, 1981 Rev. J. Cameron Bigelow was inducted and remained until June 1993.

On May 6th, 1984 Central Presbyterian Church was extensively damaged by fire, which was deliberately set. The blaze gutted the St Andrew's Room in the basement and damaged the two offices which are in a separate part of the building. Smoke and soot was spread throughout the Church. The Sanctuary sustained only smoke damage.

On December 4th, 1994 Rev. Mark B. Gaskin was inducted as Central's sixth Minister and remained with Central until the end of March 2009.

Return to Central Home Page